Friday, February 1, 2013

Confident and Unafraid


Confident and unafraid, these two words kept coming to mind when I was reflecting on today’s reading from Hebrews. We are reminded, “Do not throw away your confidence; it will have great recompense. You need endurance to do the will of God and receive what he has promised. We are not among those who draw back and perish, but among those who have faith and will possess life.” (Hebrews 10:35-36, 39)

 I have repeated those words several times this week, I am confident and unafraid. They have given me the strength I’ve needed to get through some challenges. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to draw back and not “fight the good fight” but we must always move forward. As Christians we aren’t among those who draw back but are willing to lean in, to face things head on especially our fears. It is God who defeats the enemy, it is God who gives us the courage to overcome our fears. Earlier this week I was facing a difficult situation, one that brought fear and trepidation in my heart. I was tempted to back down but that would mean that the devil would win and I would be giving up something that I love just to avoid facing my fears. Attending Sing Praise at my parish is something that I love to do. It brings me much joy, renews my spirit and is an opportunity for us to come together as a community and give praise to our heavenly Father. I was tempted to give that all up so I wouldn’t have to face someone who brought much sorrow into my life. But by not backing down the devil was defeated and it was an opportunity for me to trust in God. I’ve prayed many times that when our paths crossed again (because it was bound to happen) that God would give me the grace to be at peace and He did. Of course at the end of the evening feelings had been stirred up in me, sorrow over the loss of a friendship, anger because of the betrayal and anxiety from being in his presence but God is faithful. He comforted me and helped me work through these feelings and recognize that they were fleeting and that much healing has occurred. I know the next time will be easier, it’s always that first time that is so hard. Once we get that behind us we often see that there was nothing to fear.  We should never allow the peace of Christ to be taken from us by throwing away our confidence in the One who has promised to always be with us.

“God indeed is my savior; I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the LORD, and he has been my savior.” (Isaiah 12:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment