Friday, December 21, 2012

How Can It Be?


“Most blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”  (Luke 1:42-43)

These are Elizabeth’s words to Mary when Mary comes to visit her. The baby in her womb even responded joyfully at Mary’s greeting. It may have seemed to the outside world that it was an ordinary day, Mary came to visit Elizabeth. But Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, is able to see beyond the ordinary and recognize that this was an extraordinary event, the mother of our Lord was in her presence. How wonderful it would be if we would respond in such a fashion when we realize that God has blessed us with an extraordinary gift. God touches our lives every day yet so often we don’t recognize it. It may seem like an ordinary encounter or we may not even see his presence at all. We may give thanks for the day, for our health, or for our faith but how often do we stop and ponder how gracious God is to us? I think one way to do that is to really enter into the lives of those around us. So often we go through our day either so busy to notice those around us or we have no desire to get involved. But this is the only way to really experience God. When we reach out to those in need we realize how much God has blessed us and the people we are reaching out to may help us realize that we can do without some of the things that we think we can’t live without.

When we aren’t afraid to reach out to those who are hurting we will certainly encounter God. I was reading today about Victor Cruz, the star receiver for the New York Giants, who drove to Newtown, Connecticut to meet the family of one of the children who died in the school shooting. The little boy was buried wearing the No. 80 jersey of his favorite football player. I am sure that some people wondered how it could be that this famous person would go to be with this family. Some may see this as an extraordinary thing, and it was, not because he was famous but because he was being Christ-like. He was willing to reach out to a hurting family. He commented that he wasn’t sure what he was going to say but realized he didn’t need to say anything at all, his presence was enough.

Dear Lord, help me to be more aware of the miracles in my life, help me to have that sense of awe and wonder that Elizabeth had when Mary came to visit. To be in awe that you would bless me with two amazing sons and trust me to care for them. How can this be that the Lord would have that much trust in me? Open my eyes Lord, help me to see all the beautiful ways in which you enter into my life each and every day and see them with a sense of awe and wonder. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment