Friday, May 4, 2012

Many Dwelling Places


"’Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going you know the way.’ Thomas said to him, ‘Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?’  Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” (John 14:1-6)

Thomas and the other disciples are anxious because of Jesus’ words. Jesus has told them that he will be leaving them but they do not understand. Jesus knows that they have faith in God and he is asking them to have faith in him, also. So many times I have heard these same words spoken to me by our Lord and Savior. “Kelly, do not let your heart be troubled, have faith in me.” Jesus loves us so much. He would never abandon us. The disciples are grieving over Jesus’ words. Why is he going to leave them, why is he going to abandon them? They couldn’t see the bigger picture, but Christ knows and he is offering them comfort.  It is through him, and him alone, that we will have a place in our Father’s house. It is because of his complete love for us that he laid down his life.

This gospel reminded me of a conversation that we had with a family yesterday at work, a conversation that we have had with many families. We were talking to a mother about her son dying. There are no more treatments to stop his cancer from growing. We were talking to this mom about she can help her 9 year old son through the dying process. We were explaining that often times a child is worried about his/her parents or other family members. They see their parents’ grief and they want to protect them. Their suffering goes on until the parent gives their child permission to die and lets them know that they will be ok. This is one of the hardest things that God can ask a parent to do, give their child permission to die and trust that God will get them through their grief.  Death was never part of God’s original plan but because of sin, death came to be. And because of God’s love for us, he sent his Son to die for our sins and gain eternal life for us. But in order for us to be with our King, we must die. The faith that I have witnessed in children is incredible. They know that Christ has prepared a dwelling place for them and that they will be with their parents again one day. It is this hope that allows us to give our loved ones permission to die and go to the place that Jesus has prepared for them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment