Sunday, August 5, 2012

Food That Endures



“Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God has set his seal.” (John 6:27)

The Son of Man gives us the food that will endure for eternal life. He gives us himself! He gives us his flesh and blood and makes it available to us each and every day through the Eucharist. The people in today’s gospel are looking for a sign so they can believe. But we are called to walk by faith not by sight. “Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”  (John 20:29) Jesus tells them, “it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (John 6:32-33) This bread that the Father gives is his very Son and it is only Christ who gives life to the world. Jesus promises us “whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.” (John 6:35)

Why do I continue to feel empty at times? Is it because I lack faith? I know you work through those you place in our lives but my struggle is finding that balance where I enjoy their friendship and gift of self but don’t crumble when they leave. I can only find that balance if you, Lord, are always first in my life. If you are the center of my life then I can enjoy the gift of others without getting attached just as I can get through the moments of darkness, loneliness and sorrow because you are there with me. Help me to surrender and allow you to quench my thirst. When I read about the people always wanting a sign from Jesus, I find myself thinking, there are signs all around you, Jesus Christ is in your presence, you are talking to Christ! What more do you need to believe? Yet, I do the same thing. I want a sign from God to know that he is here.

I receive the Body and precious Blood of my Savior everyday at Mass and yet I continue to live for the things of this world. I still get pulled into working for food that perishes even when I receive the food that endures. How can I be so blind? Why do I still long for the affirmation of those on this earth rather than being at peace knowing that your love and affirmation are all that I need?  Why do I desire those fleeting moments of pleasure that lead me away from you rather than persevere through my trials and temptations with my eyes fixed on the true pleasures of your love and your everlasting joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment