Saturday, August 11, 2012

Keeping Watch


“I will stand at my guard post, and station myself upon the rampart, and keep watch to see what he will say to me, and what answer he will give my complaint.” (Habakkuk 2:1)

In the bible, at the beginning of Habakkuk, it tells us that the Book of Habakkuk may be the first time in Israelite literature, a man questions the ways of God. “Why, then, do you gaze on the faithless in silence while the wicked man devours one more just than himself?” (Habakkuk 1:13) There is terrible destruction and extensive evil because of the wicked rulers during this time in Israelite history. They are supposed to be God’s chosen people yet they are enduring so much hatred and evil. And while Habakkuk questions God, he believes that God will answer him. He trust in God and that is why he is willing to keep watch and see what God’s answer will be. He admits that he is complaining to God.

I shared with a friend the other day a situation that had me really torn. I felt like I did what God wanted me to do even though it went against my human desire. I shared with my friend that I wasn’t sure why God wanted this for me. I was given the opportunity to change my decision, which wouldn’t have been wrong or sinful, but I would be going against what I thought were God’s wishes for me. My friend told me that I was Peter at this time and Christ wanted me to keep my eyes completely fixed on Him. The only problem with that is that Peter wanted to be out on the water with Jesus and I want to remain in the boat. And again today, there was another situation that made me question my decision and I found myself complaining to God, asking him why he was making this so hard on me. Where was the lesson in all of this?

So this morning’s reading really hit home. God is calling me to take the same attitude as Habakkuk. He wants me to stand guard, keep watch and wait for His answer. Not something I am very good at. I grow impatient and want to know the purpose of my trials. Looking back I can see how God has used my trials to grow closer to Him, to even face head on some deep wounds and allow healing to occur. But in the midst of my trials I tend to forget all of that and get caught up in my struggle.

“For thus said the LORD GOD, the Holy One of Israel: by waiting and by calm you shall be saved, in quiet and in trust your strength lies.” (Isaiah 30:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment