Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Love Never Fails



“Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-6)

There is so much to reflect on in today’s reading from St. Paul to the Corinthians. We have heard this scripture passage many times, often at weddings. As it was being read today during Mass, each description of what love is, reminded me of the times that I haven’t shown love. The times I’ve been impatient with others and even myself; the times I’ve been unkind and hurtful; when I’ve been jealous and rude; when I’ve allowed my temper to get the best of me and refusing to let go of hurts (this one I struggle with often). It reminds us that we can do all sorts of great things but none of them mean anything unless they are done with love. Everything we do should be for the glory of God, from the little things like giving your child a hug for no particular reason or leaving a note for your spouse telling them to have a good day and that you love them. We get so caught up in the business of our lives that we forget how much a little gesture like this means to others. I was doing an evaluation on a co-worker who works in public relations for my department. One of the things I mentioned was that she always takes the time to handwrite a note of thanks anytime that I have volunteered for an activity in our department. This one thing has such a big impact on me and others.

Love never fails! If we do things out of love it will never be in vain. Sometimes we don’t think that our actions make a difference especially if they are rejected or people take advantage of our generosity. We have to remember that we are all broken and we all struggle to receive love at times. None of us know how to love perfectly like Christ does but we must always strive to love like this. Even Christ’s perfect love was often rejected. St. Paul goes on to say, “for we know partially and we prophesy partially, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.” (1 Corinthians 13:9-10) A friend once commented that heaven better be worth all this suffering and heartache she has been experiencing. I told her that we only have a glimpse of the glory to come. All the beautiful things that we hear or read about heaven are nothing compared to what the future has in store. Our minds can’t even begin to comprehend the greatness of God. But one day, “I shall know fully, as I am fully known.” (13:12) God knows us better than we know ourselves and one day we will know God and ourselves completely. We will be made whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment