Wednesday, October 3, 2012

He’ll Move Mountains



Below is a beautiful reflection in Magnificat that pulls together today’s reading and gospel. It is a great example of how the Church purposefully put together the Lectionary. You can see how the collection of readings was carefully chosen, often with common themes to help us learn more about salvation history and Jesus’ life on earth.

Job asks, “Should God seize me forcibly, who can say him nay? Who can say to him, ‘What are you doing?’” With the full force of his heart, Jesus says to one who has drawn close, “Follow me.” But that person “says him nay” with an excuse which seems reasonable…but, in reality, stands in the way. When Jesus calls us, “he removes the mountains” that block us from following him. ~ Magnificat

Even though Job has suffered greatly he speaks of God’s omniscience that governs the world. We, mere humans, cannot fathom the greatness of God. Our finite minds cannot probe the depths of God’s love or understand his purpose for things. Who are we to question what God is doing? But so often we do. Many times I have questioned him, asking him “why?” Sometimes he reveals the answer to me but many times he does not so I have to place my trust in him. And when he does answer me I am truly humbled. “If I appeal to him and he answered my call, I could not believe that he would hearken to my words.” (Job 9:16) Who am I that God would take notice of my cries and receive them with love? Who am I that God would take care to remain with me during my suffering even when I throw tantrums and complain “it isn’t fair!”

God doesn’t beckon us to “follow me” only once. It is a request that he makes each and every day especially during those moments in our lives when we are faced with temptations. Will we choose to follow him or choose to give into our desires? Each of the men in today’s gospel had a reasonable request before following Christ. One wanted to bury his father and the other wanted to tell his family goodbye. I think we can all come up with legitimate excuses for postponing our complete surrender to Christ; just one more thing and then I’ll be ready. But the time is now. God will move the obstacles, the mountains, that we feel we either can’t overcome or need to conquer on our own before being ready to follow him. We need only to ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment