Friday, October 5, 2012

Proclaiming His Name



“The task Christ gave us is to proclaim his name.” ~ Monsignor Luigi Giussani 

Sometimes we think we are meant to make everything better; that if we follow in Christ’s footsteps we will say the right thing to comfort those who are hurting. When we seek forgiveness and forgive others that our relationship with them will be mended or if we pray hard enough our loved ones will be healed.

We are called to proclaim Christ’s name and live a Christian life so that others are drawn to Him, so that they may live in the light of Christ. Our world is broken and no matter how loving we are, the perfect words to say to those who are hurting don’t always come. Sometimes our attempts at reconciliation are rejected and no matter how hard we pray, our loved ones aren’t healed and sometimes they die. When Christ was on this earth he didn’t cure all the sick, bring sight to all the blind or bring all the lame to their feet. Christ came to reconcile us to his Father. And until he comes again and we see him face to face, seated at the right hand of God, the world will remain broken.

Proclaiming Christ to others helps them to share in the anticipated joy of all Christians. It is our hope in God’s promise that allows us to weather the storms of our life. When others see how Christ sustains us through all of our struggles and sorrow and that we remain faithful, they, too, will learn to trust Christ and put their hope in Him. I admire people that have a peace about them especially when life is hard. I have come to realize that this peace is from Christ. There is a priest where I attend daily Mass who exudes peace and I want this same peace. I won’t find it by having this priest in my life. I will have this peace from Christ alone. The reason I can experience this peace is because of the people in my life who proclaimed Christ to me. They helped me to enter into my own relationship with Him. I know that life will continue to be hard. I don’t understand all the suffering that I see at work caring for these kids that are battling cancer. But I don’t need to understand it. I just need to remain faithful and proclaim Christ to all those he places in my life.

“The peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:7-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment