Sunday, July 22, 2012

He Came and Preached Peace


“He came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near, for through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father .”  (Ephesians 2:17-18)

The peace that God makes available through his son, Jesus Christ, is available for everyone. We all have access to this gift. Christ preached peace to those close to him and those far off and he continues to do this today. Even when we feel close to Christ and we are doing our best to follow his ways, we need this peace. We know that it is sometimes very difficult to do what we are called to do. Sometimes our environment is one that is hostile and judgmental and can dampen our zeal for God. Sometimes we are far from the Lord because we have strayed from him. The pleasures of this world have pulled us toward sin and away from God.

There are many things that interrupt our peace, for me, it was today’s first reading. “Woe to the shepherds who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture, says the LORD.” (Jeremiah 23:1) As I read this scripture, I immediately felt anger and hurt rising up in me over a past wound. I quickly began to pray for peace and complete healing from this hurt. I prayed that I would be able to completely forgive this person and these words from the Lord’s Prayer came to mind, “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”  I want to forgive completely not only because this is how the Lord will judge me, but because forgiveness brings us peace. The Lord has brought much healing into my life. My wounds have become scars that will soon begin to grow faint. They will never go away completely but that is ok. Our scars remind us how far the Lord his brought us on our journey. They tell my story and offer hope for others experiencing similar wounds.

“Beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.” (Psalm 23:2-3) The Lord refreshes our soul with his life-giving water. He washes away the guilt of our sins and renews our spirit. Jesus invited the Apostles to come away and rest. The rest was a break from all the work they had been doing and also a rest for something. He invited them to come and be with him. They were given an opportunity to just be with their Lord. To be in his presence, what a wonderful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment