Sunday, July 8, 2012

Strength in Our Weakness

Brothers and sisters: That I, Paul, might not become too elated, because of the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

St. Paul’s example in today’s second reading is difficult to embrace. Like Paul, we are called to be content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecution and constraints, if for God’s glory. It is interesting that he believes that the thorn in his flesh was placed there so that he doesn’t become too elated from the abundance of revelations by God. Paul had an ecstatic, mystical experience with God and in order to keep things in perspective, he was given this thorn. It is easy for us to think that there is something special about us when God blesses us abundantly. It is easy to think that we deserve this blessing because of something we have done instead of remembering that God’s goodness is separate from us. It is the ways of the world that teach us that we deserve to be repaid for any good deed that we do and that those who fall into misfortune often do so because of their own doing. But God’s ways are often the reverse of our worldly beliefs. Paul’s answer reveals the truth that divine power is more evident in human frailty. Reversal of earthly wisdom transforms weakness, distress and mistreatment into powerful evidence of God’s presence.

The embrace of our weakness quells the rebellion of original sin and opens us to the wonder of the Prophet among us. God’s grace is sufficient for us. I love this quote found in Magnificat today. To know that we have the ability to crush the rebellion of original sin by embracing our weakness is powerful. By humbling ourselves we allow the power of Christ to dwell in us. It opens us to the wonders of God in our lives. Our faith cannot grow without trials and the greater the trial, the greater our faith needs to be in order to believe that there is a purpose to our hardships.

“Although  now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 1:6-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment