Thursday, July 19, 2012

Take My Yoke


“Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.’”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

I love this scripture passage and I read it often. I’ve written it in my journal of favorite scripture. The first priest who helped me on my journey of healing also loved this scripture so when he was relocated I found someone who does calligraphy and had it written on beautiful paper and framed. But last night as I meditated on today’s readings it touched me in a new way. That is what I love about scripture; it reaches us where we are at in our lives. Last night, the words, “Take my yoke” eased my anxious heart. It has been a difficult week. I’ve been struggling and God was telling me to be still and take what he is offering me. I can find peace in Him and rest for my weary soul.

The reason I have been struggling so much this week is because I have allowed myself to become unyoked from Christ and have been trying to do things on my own. You’d think I would learn, I’ve been down this path too often and it is always painful and lonely, yet so often my heart gets tugged back to it. Like the Israelites, I sometimes think that I would be better off with the ways things were because they were familiar to me. My painful, chaotic life was what I knew for so long, and it takes much less courage to remain there instead of step out in faith, to the unknown.

Lord, have pity on me. Please keep your arms outstretched , offering me your yoke. Do not grow impatient with me or give up on me. You know that I love you and desire to do your will but I allow the chains of sin to bind me up and drag me away from you. Help me to rise, to raise my eyes to you, Lord, and allow the light of your truth to lead me back to you. Help me to once again take your yoke of love upon my shoulders knowing that it is only in You that I find peace and rest for my weary soul.

On wisdom, “Put your feet into her fetters, and your neck under her yoke. Stoop your shoulders and carry her and be not irked at her bonds. With all your soul draw close to her; with all your strength keep her ways. Search her out, discover her; seek her and you will find her. Then when you have her, do not let her go; thus will you afterward find rest in her, and she will become your joy.” (Sirach 6:25-29)

No comments:

Post a Comment