Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Kingdom is at Hand


Jesus summoned his Twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits to drive them out and to cure every disease and every illness. The names of the Twelve Apostles are these: first, Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddeus; Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus. Jesus sent out these Twelve after instructing them thus, "Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, make this proclamation: 'The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.'"  (Matthew 10:1-7)

“It is time to seek the LORD.”  The prophet Hosea is also called to prophecy to the people of Israel whose infidelity took the form of idolatry. He reminds them that they must be rid of their wickedness and turn back to the one True God.  Seek always the face of the LORD. “Look to the LORD in his strength; seek to serve him constantly.” (Psalm 105:4) Today’s responsorial psalm is also calling us to seek God. He alone is our saving grace.

Lord, again I have been seeking comfort in this world. I have been without a spiritual director for a long time and I long to have that connection again. I long to have someone to guide me on this faith journey; someone to help me recognize the blind spots in my life. I thought you had placed someone in my life recently for that purpose but it hasn’t been so. You know how hard it is for me to let go of this desire, help me to be at peace with Your desires for me. I am trying to be still and let you lead me. I have to remind myself that basking in your glory is wonderful, I don’t always have to be doing something. I do cherish my private moments with you especially in the chapel at Cistercian after work when there is no one but you and me in that sacred place. I thank you for that safe haven where I can open my heart to you in praise and thanksgiving. A place where I can have my soul renewed by your love and through your grace I receive the strength and courage to do your will.

Just as you commissioned the Twelve, we are each called to proclaim that “the Kingdom of heaven is at hand.”  We are called to “live in a manner worthy of the call we have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”  (Ephesians 4:1-3) 

No comments:

Post a Comment