Saturday, October 15, 2011

Engaged Though Our Senses


God reveals himself through our senses. We are sensual beings and when our senses are engaged, the experience is often more profound. The Mass engages our senses in so many ways. The rising of the incense engages our sense of smell. The crucifix, the candles, the vestments and so many other things draw us in visually. The beautiful music, the prayers, the Liturgy and the bells ringing during the consecration are just a few of the ways that we are engaged through our sense of hearing. Holding hands and exchanging the sign of peace are tactile ways that we are drawn into communion with one another. And we taste the Body and Blood of our Lord. “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood true drink.” (John 6:54-55)

It is amazing how a certain smell can bring back memories of our childhood. The smell of cookies baking takes me back to my mom’s kitchen baking Christmas cookies with my siblings and my mom. A certain song can draw up a memory of wonderful times such as singing with my sisters, or dancing with my husband. A song can even draw up sad memories. Recently at Mass we sang “On Eagles Wings” and the tears began flowing, taking me back to my mother’s funeral. I love listening to music, especially Christian music that draws me closer to God. Sometimes the words fit a certain situation perfectly. I feel that God is talking to me through a particular song. Often times a homily will feel like it was written just for me and the situation that I am dealing with. I think it is a gift from God and that the Holy Spirit is speaking through the priest.

Sometimes certain things can draw up terrible memories and we need healing of these memories. You think you have worked through a traumatic event or at least blocked it out of your mind completely but walking into the room where the trauma occurred sends you reeling back to when you were that frightened, helpless teenager afraid to go to sleep at night. The smell of alcohol on someone’s breath takes you back to the screaming and hateful words that left you cowering in the corner. These traumatic events need to be healed. If we try to just block them out or stuff them deep inside us, they continue to fester and the littlest thing can set it off. It takes God’s healing power to set us free from these memories. It is frightening to go back to these events but with the support of people that are trained in healing prayer, it will set you free. I have experienced this first hand and am so thankful for the people that God has placed in my life that have walked with me through the fire and have helped me to find peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment