Monday, October 3, 2011

There is No Hiding From the Lord


 Today’s readings from the Book of Jonah and the gospel of Luke are so rich with lessons about how we are to live our lives and also about God’s mercy. There is so much that can be said about both of them but I am going to share my meditation on the story of Jonah. This story demonstrates the sovereignty of God as he employs his creation to accomplish his divine plan. God often chooses those who really don’t want to do his will. Jonah knows who God is and even tells the mariners, “I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.”  (Jonah 1:9) But when God asks him to go to the city of Nineveh and preach to them, Jonah literally takes off in the other direction. Anyone who truly understands who God is and has a proper respect for Him, knows you cannot run from God and that obedience to God is always the best course of action. And just as we see with Jonah, our sinfulness often affects those around us. The Lord hurled a violent storm upon the sea and the ship was almost at the point of breaking apart. The mariners on the boat were terrified.

Father, forgive me for the times that I have responded in the same way that Jonah did; running away from the things you are asking me to do. Sometimes I think that what you are asking of me is too hard. Rather than trusting that you never give us more than we can bear, I become overwhelmed. Often what you ask of me is more than I can bear alone, but if I reach out to you, call out for your help, I will be strengthened by your grace. My disobedience causes the same turmoil in my life that Jonah experienced and my disobedience often cause pain and turmoil for those around me. It is not only you that I sin against. I do long to do your will but my flesh is weak. The words of Saint Paul ring true for me. “What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want to do, but I do what I hate.” (Romans 7:15) I come to you with a contrite heart and ask for the grace to do your will and to never fear what it is that you ask of me because it is all for your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment