Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Born From Above

In the gospels yesterday and today, Nicodemus has a hard time with what Jesus is saying. He asks Jesus, “How can a man once grown old be born again?” (John 3:4) How can you be born from above? What does it mean to be born of water and the spirit? The teacher of Israel cannot understand these things. Jesus tells him it is because he and his people do not accept Christ’s testimony.

Why does Nicodemus go to Jesus at night? I think part of him is intrigued by Jesus. He knows that somehow God is involved. He even says, “For no one can do these signs that you are doing unless God is with him.”  (John 3:2) He wants an explanation that makes sense from man’s way of thinking. “Surely he cannot reenter his mother’s womb.” (John 3:4) He knows this is physically impossible but doesn’t want to accept Jesus’ testimony because that would take a leap of faith. Does he go to Jesus at night because he doesn’t want his people to know that their ruler doesn’t know the answers? How would that look if their ruler is on the same level as them? This is what Jesus meant when he said that those who exalt themselves will be humbled. Nicodemus would have to humble himself, make himself vulnerable, in order to understand Jesus’ testimony. I know at times I act like Nicodemus. I want a concrete answer to why something is the way it is. I don’t want to accept Jesus’ answer. I am determined to make sense of it when that isn’t possible. I refuse to humble myself and surrender to His truth.

Dear Lord, help me to quit fighting when things aren’t the way I want them to be. Help me to come before you with a humble and contrite heart. Forgive me for my stubbornness and selfishness. Help me to surrender my will and allow your will to be done. Help me to be at peace with the fact that my ways are not your ways. I cannot even fathom the greatness of your majesty or the depth of your love for me. Help me to trust in your goodness. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment