Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Called to a Holy Life


“He saved us and called us to a holy life, not according to our works but according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began.”  (2 Timothy 1:9)

Nothing we have done or will ever do on our own makes us holy; we are holy and called to live a holy life because this was God’s design. It is possible for us to live a holy life because of the grace bestowed on us. What does it mean to live a holy life? It is that we follow the example of Christ and live in obedience to God the Father. Living a holy life starts when we detach ourselves from sin. It takes a decision on our part to align our entire being, our mind, will and emotions, with the Word of God and to cooperate with what our recreated spirit wants to do rather than our flesh. How can I be holy when I keep getting tripped up by the same sin over and over? How can I be holy when at times I would rather do what is easy instead of what is right? First of all, I have to remind myself that I certainly can’t do this on my own. Even if I desire to not give into sin, my will is often not enough. I need to deepen my faith in His grace. Our past and present sin cannot contend with the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I cannot let the shame of my sin bind me up and distort what is true. “He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross, so that free from sin, we might live for righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.”  (1 Peter 2:24)

Living a life of obedience honors God and God equips us to live a holy life. He sent his Son as a living example of how to live a life of holiness. He sent the Holy Spirit to be with us and to guide us. He gave us the Church so that we can help one another to live lives of holiness. We pray for one another, we share our struggles with one another and we worship together. He gave us the sacraments so that we can experience Christ in our lives daily especially through the Eucharist. The weight of our sins is lifted when we celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation. God longs for us to be in communion with Him so let us align our thoughts, words and deeds with God and live a life of holiness according to his design.

No comments:

Post a Comment