Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Disciples of Christ

Today is the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul. As Disciples of Christ, they endured many trials because of their trust in the Lord. Their trials did not cause them to give up or feel hopeless about their cause but increased their zeal for the Church and the salvation of all mankind.

“I, Paul, am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance” (2 Timothy 4:6-8).

As disciples we are called to do as Peter and Paul did; proclaim the Good News to all those that God places in our lives. Sometimes it is easy to be strong in my faith. When I am with others who share my faith and values then I am confident. But sometimes I am hesitant to defend my faith because I feel that I don’t know enough about the Church’s teachings to make a strong argument. The early Christians endured so much persecution for their beliefs, yet remained strong and faithful; often times willing to give their lives for the glory of God. I think the challenges we face today are different than what the early Christians dealt with. Rather than being beaten, thrown in prison, or stoned for our beliefs I think we face a world that no longer has a desire for the Truth. Everyone wants to do their own thing. No one wants to offend someone else. You may not believe abortion is right but you don’t want to tell someone else that it is wrong.

I recently made a trip back to Albuquerque to see family. My sisters were talking about the recent letter, written by Archbishop Michael J. Sheehan, ”Pastoral Care of Couples Who are Cohabitating.”  The letter was read during Mass at most of the parishes. In his letter he boldly reminds us that cohabitating outside of a valid marriage in the Church is a grave sin and those in this situation are prohibited from receiving the Eucharist and going to confession. One of my sisters finds herself in this situation and has stopped receiving the sacraments but is getting a lot of mixed messages. Another sister is telling her that she can receive them and mentioned that their parish priest doesn’t believe this teaching and tells his parishioners that they can receive the sacraments. I found myself in the same situation 8 years ago and struggled with this teaching. There was a lot of tension in our marriage while my husband went through the annulment process for his first marriage. It took 18 months for the whole ordeal to be complete but it was a glorious day when our marriage was convalidated. I have a much greater appreciation for the sacraments! I have encouraged my sister to look into the Church’s teaching and talk to a priest or deacon about the process of getting her boyfriend’s marriage annulled so that they can be married in the Church. Often times, our families are the ones that we are called to spread the Good News to. My husband is not Catholic and will challenge the teachings of the church and at times state that we are hypocrites. I remind him that we are all sinners and that is why we are in need of a Savior. Learning more about my faith helps me to share with him the Truths about the Catholic faith, and his challenges cause me to be more in tune with my behaviors and to make sure that I am living out my faith not just speaking the words.

I love these words by St. Francis of Assisi, “Spread the gospel at all times; when  necessary, use words.”

We may profess our faith easily but if we do not live our faith then it is meaningless. “If I speak in human and angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” (1 Corinthians 13:1-3). We need to love as Christ loved. We need to feed the hungry, comfort those who mourn, forgive hurts and betrayals. We need to speak the Truth with love and compassion. St. Paul tells us, “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be firm, steadfast, always devoted to the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

No comments:

Post a Comment