Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Prepared

Again we hear about the end times in both the reading and the gospel today. In the Book of Daniel, the kingdom of God is described as a stone “hewn from a mountain without a hand being put to it” that will destroy all the other kingdoms and the stone will become a great mountain that fills the whole earth. In the gospel the people are asking Jesus, “Teacher, when will this happen? And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?” Jesus tells them not to be deceived because many will come claiming to be him or claim to know the exact day and time when the end will come. And he tells them not to be terrified.

I personally don’t think about the end of time. I trust that God’s plan is perfect. We know that we will not know the day or time so I don’t know why people keep trying to predict when it is going to be. We should be prepared. I know that people say you should live as if this is your last day on earth but that is hard to do. I know the reality of sudden death through personal experience and how you wish you had another day to tell that person that you love them. And as I go through my day I do try to pay attention and try to live as Christ lived. I try to be patient and kind to others especially when it isn’t easy to do. I tell my husband and children that I love them and I’m not shy about giving my 15 year old son a big hug and kiss every day even if it embarrasses him. I spend time in prayer everyday and ask for forgiveness for my sins. But if it was truly my last day on earth I wouldn’t go to work or send my children to school. I would want to spend every minute with them and my husband. I would go to Confession and Mass.  I would want to tell my family and friends how much I love them and how blessed I have been to have them in my life. But you can’t do this every day. I have to work, I have to cook and clean and do homework and so many other things. But what is important is having a heart like Christ to always be striving to be the best person you can be, to be the person God created you to be. So that when it is your last moment on earth you can be at peace knowing that you will soon be welcomed into the heavenly kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment