Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No Compromise


I love today’s first reading from 2 Maccabees. It is a perfect example of what it means to be a true disciple. Eleazar was a true man of God and reminds me of Christ. He refused to compromise and stood firm in his loyalty to the holy laws given by God. “He went forward of his own accord to the instrument of torture.” (2 Mac 6:19) They did not take his life; he gave it willingly, just as Christ did. His friends tried to convince him to “trick” those forcing him to eat the pork so he wouldn’t have to die. But he knew this very act would leave the young followers of God astray. “It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.” (Luke 17:2) Even if he got away with it and no one was led astray, he knew that he would have to stand before God and give an account just as we all will have to do some day.

Learning about these holy men who place God above all things, even laying down their lives instead of compromising their faith, are an inspiration for me. Eleazar was on one the first models of martyrdom in the bible. His example, and those of the other saints, cause me to fall on my knees asking for forgiveness for the times I have chosen the easy way out instead of standing strong in my faith and asking for the courage to be like Eleazar and to never back down or compromise my faith to avoid pain or hostility from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment