Friday, January 6, 2012

The Baptism of Jesus

In yesterday’s gospel, Jesus tells Nathanael, “You will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” (John 1:51)  I am not sure what Jesus was speaking to Nathanael about, but I thought about those words when I read today’s Gospel.  “It so happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’” (Mark 1: 9-11)

We are baptized to be cleansed of original sin. We die to sin and are resurrected with Christ. Jesus didn’t need to be baptized because he knew no sin. But for me it is another example of His humanity. It was at the time of his baptism that the Father anoints him with the Holy Spirit and it is revealed that he is God’s Son, the Messiah. Those who were present at his baptism witnessed the heavens being torn open and they hear the voice of God! I think I would have fallen on my knees overcome by the awesomeness of that event.

We struggle with sin daily but we are washed cleaned of our venial sins at every Mass. We have the opportunity to receive this gift every day. And we also have the gift of the Sacrament of Reconciliation where we are absolved of all of our sins no matter how grave or how much we have offended God. These sacraments give us strength in our fight against sin and for this I am so thankful. Heavenly Father, that you for the graces we receive through the Sacraments of the Church that empower us to walk in your Truth and allow us to be in communion with You while we are here on this earth. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment