Thursday, January 5, 2012

How We Come to Know Love

 "The way we came to know love was that he laid down his life for us; so we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.”  (1 John 3:16)

The only way we experience true love is through Jesus Christ. Only his love is pure and without any expectations. He loves us even if we reject him over and over. I like to think that I love others unconditionally but it is sometimes hard. It is hard to continue loving someone who has wounded you deeply. I’m sure many people betrayed Jesus but of course the one that always comes to mind is Peter’s denial of Christ three times before the cock crowed twice. Not only does Jesus continue to love Peter, he gives him the keys to the kingdom of heaven! When we experience hatred for no reason at all it is hard to love that person. Jesus endured hatred from many people just because he was Jesus but he continued to love them and show them mercy and compassion.

I would certainly lay down my life for my children, my husband, or my family members. I would even lay down my life for my close friends but I am not sure that I would lay down my life for a stranger and even more difficult for someone who I dislike. But we can’t pick and choose who we will love. We are called to love all of our brothers and sisters. Yet, it is only through Christ that we are able to do this. It is his love that softens our hearts. We need to know God in order to love one another. Knowledge of God and love for one another are inseparable and error in one area inevitably affects the other.

“In this is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.” (1 John 4:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment