Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hard Truth

“He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and rise after three days. He spoke this openly. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. At this he turned around and, looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter and said, ‘Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.’” (Mark 8: 31-33)

Jesus spoke openly about what was going to happen to him. And just as it was for Peter, the truth is sometimes hard to hear. Peter knew that Jesus was the Christ. He was the Messiah that they had been waiting for yet Jesus was talking about how he was going to suffer greatly and be killed. The elders, chief priests, and scribes were going to turn on him and kill him. This was too much for Peter to hear so he goes to Jesus and rebukes him. Jesus was their Savior. A savior is meant to bring salvation to his people; to save them from danger or destruction. Why would their Savior talk about being killed? This didn’t make sense to Peter. Jesus’ words are so harsh, Get behind me, Satan, he says to Peter. He calls him Satan! Peter was thinking like a human being because that is what he was. The whole concept of their Messiah being a Suffering Servant instead of a valiant warrior was beyond their comprehension, so much so that Peter didn’t even hear the good news about Jesus’ teaching; He would rise on the third day!

I know the truth is hard for me to hear especially when it has to do with someone I love hurting and even more difficult if I am the one who has caused the hurt. I am thankful for the dear friends that God has placed in my life that help me stay grounded in the truth. My dear friend, Diana, has walked with me on my journey for 8 years now. The hard truths that I have had to face over the years have been easier with her at my side. She never lets me avoid the truth but she always helps me face it with her gentle spirit and compassion. She always invites God to be present when we are together and with God in our midst there is nothing that we can’t handle. We have the hope of the Resurrection, something that Peter wasn’t aware was going to happen and because of this we should never despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment