Saturday, February 25, 2012

He Desires Mercy

For the last two days Isaiah has been telling the Israelites what is expected of them. In yesterday’s reading he gives them a whole new description of fasting. The Lord, God doesn’t find their day of penance acceptable. The fact that they walk around with their head bowed and lie in sackcloth and ashes is meaningless if they continue with their own pursuits and treats others unfairly. In both readings, he describes what is acceptable to the Lord. They are to release those bound unjustly, set free the oppressed, feed the hungry, care for the afflicted and remove false accusations and malicious speech from their midst. These are very similar to what Jesus told his disciples when he spoke about the judgment of the nations when the Son of Man returns in glory. For those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome a stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick and visit those in prison they will inherit the kingdom prepared for them by our heavenly Father. (Matthew 25:34-36)

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, but rather in the wicked man’s conversion, that he may live” (Ezekiel 33:11) God’s desire is for each one of us to turn from sin and follow in his ways. The mercy that he shows to each one of us is the mercy that we must then show toward others. It is easy for me to show mercy to the sick because this is my vocation; God has called me to care for his little ones. But I have a much harder time being merciful to those that don’t fit the “mold” that I think they should fit in. It is hard for me not to get caught up in the gossip about someone who has hurt me. It is hard for me to be merciful to those that I think should “know better” yet do it anyway, whatever the “it” may be. I know that God takes pleasure when we admit our guilt and ask for forgiveness and he expects that same thing from me. When someone says they are sorry, I am to forgive and forget. Not continually allow it to come to the front of my mind when I get upset with them.

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, open our eyes to the world at our pointing fingers. Let our heart be led by mercy, help us reach with open hearts and open doors.  Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours.  ~ “Jesus, Friend of Sinners” by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment