Sunday, February 5, 2012

Living the Gospel

“Brothers and sisters: If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast, for an obligation has been imposed on me, and woe to me if I do not preach it! If I do so willingly, I have a recompense, but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship. What then is my recompense? That, when I preach, I offer the gospel free of charge so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.” (1 Corinthians 9:16-19, 22-23)

We are called to do that which St. Paul was called to do. Evangelizing is an obligation that has been imposed on each Christian and woe to us if we do not preach it! This isn’t just for those who speak well in front of others or those who are ordained or have a degree in Theology. God needs each one of us to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. He uses us where we are at. If we are students, then our school is a place of evangelization. Our place of work is where we need to evangelize. As parents we are called to raise our children in the faith and we do this best through our actions. Parents want to protect their children from things that aren’t pleasant but it is doing them a disservice. How can children develop empathy for others and a heart of service if they think that everyone has a home to live in, food to eat and clothing to keep them warm? How can they learn to reach out to fellow students if they think that everyone lives in a home free of abuse, addiction or hatred? They don’t look for opportunities to reach out to others if they don’t even know the need is there. When I was in high school and my brother died in a motorcycle accident, a fellow student who didn’t even know me took the time to write me a card letting me know that her sister had died in an accident and that she was there for me. Her little act of kindness was huge! To know that I wasn’t alone and that someone else knew what I was going through and cared about me will never be forgotten. This happened 31 years ago and I remember every detail of that day when she handed me the card and gave me a hug.

Doing our part is a lifelong obligation. Jesus moved on to the nearby villages so that he could preach to as many people as possible; to cure the sick and drive out demons. My family used to feed the homeless on Sundays and we loved it. But the place where we volunteered became popular and it became harder and harder to get a spot, currently they have nothing until August! This is wonderful for the people who run the Stew Pot and for the homeless at The Bridge. So, now it is our time to move on and to prayerfully consider where God is calling us to serve next. It is so easy to get caught up in the business of our lives and to forget about those most in need or to write a check and think we have done our part. Financial support is an absolute must but it is just the beginning. We need to be the hands, feet, voice and ears of Christ and to be amongst those whose needs are the greatest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment