Sunday, February 26, 2012

Temptations

Today’s gospel is about the Temptation of Jesus. Early on in my faith journey I didn’t grasp that Jesus was completely human as well as divine. I didn’t truly believe that he understood the struggles against temptations because he was Jesus. But as I have grown in my faith I realize that Jesus was fully human as well as divine. While he was here on earth he felt all the things that we as human beings feel. I now have a better understanding of today’s gospel. Jesus fasted in the desert for 40 days and nights. He was hungry, exhausted, and lonely and Satan took that opportunity to tempt him. Each time that Satan tested him, Jesus’ response is one taken from Scripture. “One does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4) “You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.” (Matthew 4:7) “The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.” (Matthew 4:10) These words were the same words spoken to the Israelites when they were in the desert. They were reminded of what the Lord had done for them and how they were to obey Him when they reach the land that he swore to their fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Jesus was able to resist these temptations because he had spent time in prayer, he was ready for battle. We too must prepare ourselves for battle. We need to pray, we need to block out the noise in our life. We need to stop talking to ourselves so that we can hear the words of our Father. One of the ways in which the devil tempts me is in regard to my work. When we experience a lot of deaths, relapses or new diagnoses I tend to feel overwhelmed. I start second guessing myself, questioning if I am able to continue doing this. I try to rely on myself to get through these difficult times. I begin to fall into despair which is right where the devil wants me to be, believing that it is hopeless. Instead, I need to be quiet and be still, and allow the Lord to renew my spirit. I need to do what Jesus did, he allowed the angels to come and minister to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment