Friday, December 30, 2011

Family

“The family finds in the plan of God the creator and redeemer not only its identity, what it is, but also its mission, what it can and should do.” ~ Blessed John Paul II

As parents we are given an incredible gift and awesome responsibility. God has placed this child in our care and we are to bring him up as a child of God. It is in the home that children learn to love by being loved. In a family we learn that each person is part of a whole and without each of them the family is incomplete. It is through the family that we learn about sacrifice. We learn that the world does not revolve around me. We learn the meaning of community. If children don’t receive love they learn that this world is a cruel place and no one can be trusted. No child should ever experience this. We need to be an example of faith, hope and love not only for our own children but for all children.

I want to be an example of service for my sons not only by doing the things we enjoy doing together like feeding the homeless or giving of our time to help at Mount Carmel Center. I want to be an example of faith not by just attending Mass together but by spending time in Adoration, praying the Rosary together, and talking about our faith. I also want to be an example of the things that are hard to do like forgiving someone that has hurt me or admitting that I am wrong and asking for forgiveness; giving of myself even when I am exhausted and all I want to do is sit down and do nothing. To be an example of love by reaching out to those who are mourning, it is hard to know what to say or do so we often do nothing. I want to be an example of one who builds others up and not one who tears others down through gossip. These are the things I strive to do and the things that I want to be remembered for. On this Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, may we look to them as the perfect example of love and communion with one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment