Saturday, December 3, 2011

Heed My Voice

"At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a Shepherd.” (Matthew 9:36)

Throughout the gospels, Jesus is filled with compassion for the people who are often described as sheep without a shepherd. Prior to feeding the 5,000, Jesus “had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.” (Mark 6:34) And in Matthew’s gospel account, “he had compassion on them and healed their sick” (Matthew 14:14). When the leper came begging for Jesus to make him clean, “moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him… immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean.” (Mark 1:40-42)

Sometimes the image I have of God is him looking down on me from heaven and shaking his head. He feels pity for me because I sometimes wander around like a sheep without a shepherd. I am sure he is thinking; Kelly, how many times are you going to stray? Why do you not heed my voice? I know the Lord is my Shepherd and that I should not want for anything else than to please him. It should be that simple but it isn’t for me. I allow things to distract me; I allow my emotions to get the best of me instead of letting things roll off my back. At times, I am lazy about my spiritual life. I know what I need to do in order to live the life that God has intended me to live but the problem is that I don’t always want to do it. I would rather give in to my selfish desires or rant and rave about how I was offended or hurt. I would rather watch a movie or go to sleep then spend more time in prayer.

If I allow God to shepherd me, “He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in the path of righteousness for his name’s sake” (Psalm 23:2-3) I won’t be wandering around like a lost sheep. No longer will I be overwhelmed by the storms around me. He will continually refresh my soul so that I am ready to take on whatever he places before me with courage and trust. “I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment