Friday, December 23, 2011

Freed From Doubt

“He asked for a tablet and wrote, ‘John is his name,’ and all were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God.” (Luke 1: 63-64)

Zechariah was struck mute because he asked the angel Gabriel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.” And was told that he would “be speechless and unable to talk until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled at their proper time.” (Luke 1:18, 20) I can see how Zechariah might question how this can be. His wife was barren and they were both past the age of bearing children. I am glad the Lord doesn’t take such drastic measures when I doubt his capabilities. Was Zechariah struck dumb because he was chosen to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and in this holy place he should have expected that all things are possible? Should he have not been surprised that the angel Gabriel appeared to him and spoke such wonderful news?

The Lord hasn’t struck me dumb but there are times that my lack of faith or my sinfulness has led me to a place where I am stuck and unable to see clearly. And once I become obedient to God, my eyes are opened just as Zechariah’s tongue is freed when he was obedient to God and named his son, John; and God’s plan is fulfilled. How many times have I interfered with God’s perfect plan? How often do I make it difficult for God to fulfill his plan? I know that God controls all things and that I can’t prevent his will from being done but I do think that we can make it more difficult for ourselves. For example, God wants us to be healed but when we keep going back to the same place of pain then the healing can’t occur. I know that part of healing requires us to work through the painful events in our lives but I have learned that there is a difference in working through the pain and wallowing in the pain. Lord, increase my faith and forgive me for the times that I have doubted that you are capable of all things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment