Thursday, July 28, 2011

God’s Dwelling Place

I love the Psalms. They express our human emotions so well. There are Psalms of praise and worship, thanksgiving, lament, pleas, cries, joyful songs, divine works, great sorrow, desperation, awe and wonder.
Today’s Psalm, 84, is one of my favorites.

"How lovely your dwelling, O LORD of hosts! My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the LORD, my heart and flesh cry out for the living God.” (Psalm 84:2-3)
My soul aches to know our Lord more intimately. And although I long for Him there are times when I would rather be lazy in my spiritual life. I would rather sleep in a little longer instead of going to daily Mass. I know I don’t have to go to daily Mass, but it is so good for my soul. It is a great way to start my day especially when I know it is going to be a hard day at work. And lately every day has been hard. I came home a few weeks ago and told my husband I wanted to go see a funny, “no brainer” movie so that I wouldn’t have to think. Parts of it were very funny but other parts were really raunchy. I should have gotten up and left but it was much easier to stay and laugh along with everyone else.

As they pass through the Baca valley, they find spring water to drink. Also from pools the Lord provides water for those who lose their way. (Psalm 84:7)
God always provides for us even when we stray and lose our way. He is always drawing us back to him because this is where we belong. “Better one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere.” (Psalm 84:11) My counselor once quoted this passage when we were talking about something I was struggling with. She reminded me that one day with our Lord is better than a thousand days of earthly, fleeting pleasures.

I think of his dwelling place as something that I am striving for but during his homily this morning the priest reminded us that through Baptism we become sons and daughters of God and we become His dwelling place. We are his tabernacles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment