Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Lord is Kind and Merciful

“Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes.
For as the heavens are high above the earth, so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west, so far has he put our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.”
  (Psalm 103:10-12)

Today’s Psalm reminds us of our heavenly Father’s compassion for his sons and daughters. Thank goodness he doesn’t deal with us according to our sins! Whenever I read the passage about him placing our transgressions as far from us as the east is from the west, the image I get is of him stretching his arms out on the cross out of love for each one of us. Jesus wants us to acknowledge our sins and seek his forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. This beautiful gift allows us to be renewed and strengthened. We will always struggle against the temptations of sin. But scripture reminds us, Blessed is the man who perseveres in temptation, for when he has been proved he will receive the crown of life that he promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12)

Jesus became “like his brothers in every way, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest before God to expiate the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested through what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.” (Hebrews 2:17-18) I used to have a hard time believing that Jesus could really understand my struggles with temptation but he was tried just as we are, the difference is that he never gave into the temptations and sinned. So he is the perfect person to turn to when faced with temptations. When faced with my temptations alone, especially the ones that I really struggle with, I am doomed to give into them and sin against our Lord. “No one experiencing temptation should say, ‘I am being tempted by God’; for God is not subject to temptation to evil, and he himself tempts no one. Rather, each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire conceives and brings forth sin, and when sin reaches maturity it gives birth to death. (James 1:13-15)

I went to confession the other night while at Shepherd’s Café and went to a priest I did not know. I was torn when I finished because he said some things that I really didn’t want to hear. But I went before the Blessed Sacrament and prayed about it, asking God to give me an open heart and mind to what the priest had mentioned. His words were a challenge for me because they require me to take things to a deeper level. I am so thankful for the priests who take the time during confession to give us some guidance, helping us to see things more clearly and honestly. And for also reminding me of God’s love for me. Reminding me that God is pleased every time we frequent the sacrament seeking His forgiveness and that I should rejoice when God has given me the grace to turn my back on sin when the temptations are stronger than ever.

Dear heavenly Father,
Give me the grace to always seek your strength in times of temptation and give me the courage to run to you when I do fall into sin. Help me to persevere and to rise again when I fall, always trusting in your love and compassion. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment