Saturday, July 9, 2011

Proclaim His Wondrous Deeds

I keep a separate journal in my bag that I take to Adoration to write down scripture that I love. I don’t add any meditations in that journal just the scripture passages. It has been helpful as I write my meditations and want to add a particular passage to tie into my meditation or if I am writing a note to a friend it is easy to go to that journal and find the perfect passage to provide them comfort or support.

In today’s gospel, Jesus tells his Apostles, “What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light, what you heard whispered, proclaim on the housetops” (Matthew 10:27). This reminded me of a passage I have in my journal. “A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains and crushing rock before the LORD-but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake-but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was fire-but the LORD was not in the fire. After the fire there was a tiny whisper” (1 Kings 19:11-12).

God often speaks to us in gentle whispers. We can hear wonderful things when we are still and allow God to speak. It may be during prayer that we hear his gentle whispers or it may be in our darkest moments when we are gripped with fear and don’t know how we are to go on. He is there loving us and reminding us to hang on. But often during these dark moments my heart is so anxious and my fears are so great that I can’t hear his whispers, his words of love and comfort. I have gotten better at being still and resting in his presence.

God has showered me with his grace and has provided so much healing in my life. At first I was hesitant to share with others the magnitude of God’s healing in my life. I held it close to my heart because I thought others would think less of me; that somehow I was partly to blame for the things that happened to me. I know it is crazy thinking but with God’s grace my “twisted” thinking is being replaced with the Truth and it is this Truth that I share with others. God can use our suffering to be an incredible healing power for others if we trust in his goodness and don’t allow our fear of rejection to get in his way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment