Thursday, August 25, 2011

Be Vigilant


One thing that will always secure heaven for us: acts of charity and kindness with which we have filled our lives. We will never know how much good just a simple smile can do. We tell people how kind, forgiving and understanding God is – are we the living proof? Can they really see this kindness, this forgiveness, this understanding in us?” Mother Teresa

Today’s gospel is about being vigilant, always being prepared for the coming of Christ because we do don’t know the day or the hour that our Lord will come. As Christians we know what we are called to do but sometimes we want to be selfish. We are tired and don’t want to give of ourselves. I know there are times that I sleep in an extra hour instead of going to daily Mass; sometimes at work I walk quickly down the hallways, not making eye contact because I don’t want to notice that someone may need my attention; or at home I let the boys park themselves in front of the TV instead of trying to engage them in conversation or an activity we can do together. I need to put aside my selfish desires and embrace these opportunities that I am blessed with to be the hands and feet of Christ.

I want to be more like Christ not out of fear that my Master will come and “punish him severely and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.” (Matthew 24:51) But because that is what it means to be a Christian, to serve the Lord by serving others. We don’t need for the Lord to come and place us with the hypocrites. We know in our hearts the times that we are hypocrites. I don’t want to be an example for others to point at and say, “She claims to be a Christian but look at ______.” I can fill in the blank with the times I have gossiped, allowed my pride to keep me from seeking forgiveness or from offering forgiveness, turning my back on someone who needs a hug or an ear to listen, etc. I want to do what the Master asks of me not out of fear but out of love and gratitude for loving me even when I don’t deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment