Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Letting Go


“At sunset, all who had people sick with various diseases brought them to him. He laid his hands on each of them and cured them. At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place. The crowds went looking for him, and when they came to him, they tried to prevent him from leaving them. But he said to them, ‘To the other towns also I must proclaim the good news of the Kingdom of God, because for this purpose I have been sent.’” (Luke 4:40, 42-43)

How hard it must have been for the people of Capernaum to let go of Jesus. He preached in their synagogue and they were astonished by his teachings. They reached out to him in faith, bringing to him their loved ones who were sick, and he cured each one of them. Why did he have to go so soon? Why did he have to go at all? They wanted to keep him for themselves.

Sometimes God places people in our lives only for a season and then we have to let them go. But this is so hard, especially for someone who has been abused. It is so hard to trust others. But every once in a while, God will bring someone into our lives that we are able to trust. They help us to see the love of Christ. They walk with us and offer their love and support. But they are meant to be with us only for a short time. Once we are on our way towards Him, it is time for them to move on and bring the Good News to others that are in need of His healing and love.  Even though I am on the right path, I feel so alone and afraid. I need my friend. I can’t do this alone. I pray that I can have my friend for just a little longer; just until I am a little stronger. But God gently tells me “No.” God wants me to trust in Him. He is the reason my friend was in my life. To be led to Him. The peace and love I felt when my friend was near was from God himself. So I continue on my journey being led by my Lord and Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment