Saturday, August 20, 2011

Practice What You Preach


“The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their examples. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people’s shoulders, but will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen.” (Matthew 23:2-5)

Today’s gospel reminds me of a situation I found myself in last year. We had a priest that would visit our parish from time to time. In his homilies he would often speak about forgiveness, pride and humility. And he spoke the Truth. How often do we have to forgive? Seven times seventy. Pride is the root of all evil, all sin. In order to be disciples we must deny ourselves and take up our cross. As Christians we are called to fall on our knees and repent for the wrong we have done to others.
The problem was that I experienced a situation where he did not practice what he preached and I found myself caught up in it. How can he go on and on about loving others, setting aside our pride and asking for forgiveness when we have hurt others, yet be unwilling to do the same? I found myself falling into sin. I was pointing out the splinter in his eye, making it out to be a wooden beam, and not even realizing how sinful my actions were. I was complaining about the heavy burden he placed on my shoulders and then turned his back on me.

“When legitimate authority does not practice what it preaches, that is no excuse for those under it to do the same. Such behavior is an adolescent projection of one’s own responsibility onto the authority figure in order to be released from the demands of one’s own conscience.” (Companion God, p. 273)
I was using his behavior as an excuse to justify my own sinful behavior. And the only way that I was able to get beyond this was to do as he preached. I had to humble myself, let go of my pride and forgive him. It was not an easy thing. I wrestled with God, asking him “Why?” There were times that I thought it was all behind me but then something would trigger the pain and anger, usually someone talking about how great he is. And I would again have to turn to our Lord and ask him to reveal to me what needed to be done. I am now at peace with the whole ordeal and able to be in his presence without feeling like I am going to crumble.

I have learned a lot from this experience and my trust in God has been strengthened. We are all sinners, we are all broken, and we all lash out and hurt others. I also realized that I sometimes expect too much from people. I don’t think I put them on a pedestal but maybe that is what I do. I now remind myself daily that only God is worthy of my praise. There is only one Savior and it is Jesus Christ. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sometimes it sucks to be the grown up!

    It's amazing how we can have our heart ripped out, stomped on and thrown in the trash, then recover, be made stronger and even better.

    Only God can do that!

    It would be nice, though if there was a little anesthesia during the times when your chest is ripped in half by the pain and you can see nothing but blood, your own.

    What do they call that? Growing pains?

    That pretty much sucks too.

    ReplyDelete