Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Transfiguration

Today is the Feast of the Transfiguration. “The resplendence of the Transfiguration reveals the fullness of life destined to be ours. As we peer into the glory that pours from every pore of the transfigured Christ, we cast off everything unworthy of our personal relationship with the Infinite, and we take on the luster of the Son of God. Jesus gazes back at us with a luminous look of love that makes us desire to live his transparent beauty – to be luminaries. Silently from Tabor’s splendor, the Savior begs: ‘Become what you behold!’” (Magnificat)

In the main church at my parish, the apse painting above the altar depicts the Transfiguration. It is a beautiful reminder of the promised glory. I had the privilege of going on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in December 2006 and we went to Mt. Tabor. It was so beautiful the day we were there. Low lying clouds gave a sense of mystique to this sacred place. I was speaking with some friends today who have also been to the Holy Land. We were talking about how you never look at things the same after being there. Advent and Christmas, Lent and Easter take on a whole new meaning. Even Mass isn’t quite the same. As the gospel’s is read you can picture yourself in that place and time.

“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased, listen to him.” (Matthew 17:5)

Heavenly Father,
Open my heart to the words of your Son, Jesus the Christ. Burn away all that is not of you so that the glory that pours forth from your Son will also shine forth from me. I long to hear the words, ‘This is my beloved daughter, with whom I am well pleased.’ I ask these things through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment