Thursday, August 4, 2011

Who Am I?

“Who do you say that I am?” Just as Jesus asked this question of Peter, he asks the same question of each of us. He is my All, my Rock, my Savior, my Redeemer, my Healer. He is my guiding Light. He leads me on the path to righteousness. He is my Truth.

If I truly believe that Jesus Christ is all these things to me then I have to live my life that way. If I believe that he is my strength, then during times of temptation I need to call upon Him instead of struggling on my own. If he is my Healer then I need to reveal to him all my woundedness and brokenness. I need to place it before him instead of trying to cover it up or stuff it down deep inside. If he my guiding light then I need to allow him to shine his light on the path that leads me to him instead of stumbling around in the darkness of sin. If he is the Bread of Life, then I need to nourish my soul with his Body and Blood which give me strength. If he is the Truth then I need to continually meditate on his Word, striving to get more meaning out of it to find the help and guidance for the demands that life brings. I need to make his Truth my own truth so that I can live the life I am called to live.

“Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.” (Matthew 16:17) Just as Simon Peter, our faith does not come through human means but through a revelation by God. It is pure gift. And just as Jesus was pleased with Peter for embracing this gift, he is pleased with us when we accept his gift of faith and use it to draw closer to him.

“Remain faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne.” (Revelation 2:10 & 3:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment